Over the past year, Christie has developed a program and policy to become an environmentally conscious organization.
Christie's Environmental Policy:
We recognize our responsibility to control impacts on the environment from our business activities, products and services. We are fully committed to environmentally friendly solutions for current and future generations and to meet or exceed applicable laws, regulations and organizational objectives. As an industry leader, we are committed to prevention of pollution and continual improvement through implementation of our environmental management system.
As a start, we implemented an Environment Program, as well as an Environmental Management System that is designed to identify areas where we can reduce waste, and electrical consumption. Since the inception of our Environment Program, we’ve accomplished the following:
- Restricted or reduced toxic substances in 219 products and 567 accessories. The European Union issued a directive known as RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances), which requires that all electrical and electronic equipment sold into the European Union do not contain certain toxic substances. Christie has fully met this requirement and continues to ensure that all materials in new products meet these standards.
- Changed our packaging requirements so that shipping materials are 100% recyclable. We started this program with the launch of the Christie CP2000-ZX digital cinema projector and are evolving the program so that all packaging and shipping materials will be fully recyclable.
- Introduced a stand-by mode in our new digital cinema projectors which reduces power consumption when the unit is not in operation.
- Significant reduction of electricity consumption in our manufacturing process.
- Improved our company-wide recycle rate. Today, 65% of all materials at our manufacturing facilities are recycled, and our goal is to increase this recycle rate to 90% over the next 24-36 months.
- Compressed our work week to a 10 hour, 4 day work week for our production staff. With fewer travel days to and from work, this has resulted in a reduction of 375,000 driving miles/year and a 15% increase in efficiencies and productivity.
These are just a few of the changes that we’ve made. Christie is already working on new programs to further reduce our impact on the environment through changes to our packaging, waste management, design changes, product recycling, electrical consumption and other areas that impact the long-term sustainability of the environment that we all share.
We’re committed to reducing our environmental impact and moving toward a greener future.